Zambia’s National Parks:
The Incredible Wildlife Estate!
There are 19 national parks and 34 game manegement areas in Zambia. That's 30 percent of Zambia’s land of 752,614 square kilometers. Private game reserves are also part of the parks.
Most popular of these national game reserves are South Luangwa, Mosi-oa-Tunya, Kafue, Lochinvar, Lower Zambezi, Kasanka, North Luangwa and Nsumbu. Here also are the best accommodation found.
Zambia's natural game reserves are strategically positioned and cover every part of the country. The largest, Kafue National Park is centrally positioned but to the west of Lusaka, accessible in two hours by an all weather road. Then there is the unique dual of North and South Luangwa in the east. Others national game reserves are in the north, in the west and in the south of Zambia.
A map of national parks
depicts this strategy
Management of national reserves requires the conservation of wildlife and the environment. Efforts in this direction are already bearing fruit. Many organizations are involved in the conservation efforts
as well as the safari business.
In promoting the free market economy the Zambian government continues to support private investment in tourism. Therefore, many private game parks exist. Some of these are:
- Lilayi Lodge game park,
- Protea Safari Lodge, Chisamba game park
- and Chaminuka, all are within 50 kilometers of Lusaka,
- Lechwe Lodge in western Zambia,
- Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage on the Zambian Copperbelt,
- Gwembe Safari in the Gwembe Valley,
- and Mwengwe Game Ranch.
Apart from the chimpanzees, Chimfunshi hosts other animals, thanks to the Siddles,(David and Sheila), the owners. Then there is Chaminuka Nature Reserve, with a wild landscape, and the largest private nature reserve in Zambia. It has a unique African safaris experience.
And for the game parks! Each of the national parks has a unique characteristic of its own.
– This is rated as one of the top game reserves in the world with a unique profusion of wildlife. Luangwa is the home of the legendary walking safaris.
- North Luangwa – It is untamed and very wild. Safari operators will arrange access to the areas.
– One of Africa's largest, a huge 22,400 square kilometers. It is teeming with lots of game including carnivores and herbivores, home of antelopes species and of course bird life.
– A newly developed national park with intense game along the banks of the Zambezi River. Canoeing safaris are high on the recommendations.
- Sumbu – On the shores of Lake Tanganyika at it’s southern tip which extends in Zambia. World international fishing competitions (angling safaris) are held here because of the excellent fishing found here.
Lochinvar Bird Sanctuary
– A wetland on the banks of Kafue River, a birders paradise. It is small and accessible. It boasts of huge herds of Kafue Lechwe.
- Mosi-oa-Tunya – All of Zambia's game found in plains such as rhino, elephant, giraffe are hosted here, just minutes from the Victoria Falls.
- Kasanka – One of the smallest parks. It has superb birding and fishing. The rare sitatunga antelopes are found here.
If your interest is to visit the rarely visited, wild and unspoilt game parks, the following are recommended;
- Bangweulu Floodplains – Surrounding Lake Bangweulu the park has thousands upon thousands of the endemic black lechwe antelope and the rare shoebill stork bird.
- Liuwa Plain – in western Zambia is renown for the annual wildebeest migration involving hundreds. The great predators found here include wild dogs.
- Sioma Ngwezi – Undeveloped and wild with teak forests. It has good elephant and roan antelope.
- Luambe – between North and South Luangwa is a small one. It is being rehabilitated and game is moving back to fill it.
- Nyika Plateau – A highland area with excellent birds and awesome views. Large herds of antelope, notably eland are found here.
So now you know them. It’s your turn. Make a wish and choose :-) Happy holidays and enjoy your direct shots of animals...well, I mean, with a camera! However, safari-hunting licenses are available at Zambia Wildlife Authority(ZAWA).
Visit Zambia’s national parks and you will discover why Zambia is the new, most enticing tourist attraction. Click here to learn more about Zambia's tourism
Zambia is African's best kept secret in tourism
South Luangwa National Park
is Zambia's premier national park. And unique amoung natonal parks South Luangwa has an International Airport with full cutoms and imigration facilities.
And where to rest and relax don’t forget to visit the
world class hotels by clicking here
Home | Victoria Falls | Car Rental | African Art | Africa Travel | Adventure Travel | About Us | Zambian Tourism | Archives | Search the Site |
Zambia African Safari © ZAS 2004